The Holidays that Were with Le Mixeur...Part Un

Le Mixeur has been out of the blog loop for some time now, and so many things have Mixed since last we spoke.

In the days leading up to December 25th, AKA the birthday of the Persian Sun God Mithras, I was inspired to buy a bottle of Marie Brizard Parfait Amour, in all its jellybean marshmallow glory. I tinkered around with this and made a Jupiter cocktail (gin, dry vermouth, oj, parfait) and a Mood Indigo (cognac, gin, egg white, parfait). But the most fun I ever did have with Parfait Amour was in creating a variation on the the vintage cocktail, "The Bourbon."

The Bourbon is this:

3/4 oz bourbon
1 1/2 oz benedictine
3/4 oz lemon juice
dash orange curacao
dash angostura bitters
shake all and strain into a cocktail glass

I changed that a little bit. Why? I don't remember...It was quite a while ago. Since we are Le Mixeur, we shall call this drink, Le Bourbon.

Le Bourbon

3/4 oz bourbon
1 1/2 oz benedictine
3/4 oz lemon juice
barspoon Parfait Amour
2 dashes aromatic bitters
shake all and strain into a cocktail glass
garnish with thin strip of lime

Mithras was pleased indeed.




When the day of the 25th came I packed up a little old kit bag and headed over to Bainbridge Island for a family soirée. In my bag was this:

bottle of Galliano
bottle of homemade spiced syrup (sugar water cloves allspice cinnamon)
bowl of Tom and Jerry batter
li'l baggie of whole nutmegs
1/2 pint of heavy cream
But why, T. Mixeur? Pourquoi?

Galliano and cream, when combined in equal parts along with Grand Marnier (a pre-existing fixture in Mom Mixeur's special cabinet) and shaken and strained, makes a tasty little drink Nick Mautone calls The Grand Galliano . Float an orange peel on top and it looks pretty as a picture. Tweak the proportions a bit and add Apricot Brandy and you have yourself an Aruba Trade Wind

The Tom and Jerry batter was for, uh, Tom and Jerrys. This was my first crack at them and it came out well, cherished and praised by all. Sensing momentum was on my side, I created some Brandied Egg Nogs which also were good, but even better when I added a spoonful of my spiced syrup. Both the T and J and the Egg Nog were dusted with the nutmeg. Fresh nutmeg is something to behold. Ironic that nearly 20 years after escaping from the Nutmeg State, I would just now develop an appreciation for it. Fortunately, in addition to Connecticut, it's also available for sale in states that don't totally suck.

I sauntered out of the Mixeur family soirée sober and pleasantly satisfied by the gluten free vegan lasagna I had made for myself, leaving behind a roomful of rosy cheeked, tipsy relatives with smoked ham and dinner rolls expanding in their bellies. I retreated to the confines of my housesitting gig and fiendishly plotted where T. Mixeur would strike next...

(to be continued)

Comments